Sunday, March 11, 2012

The Journey

The Journey is long. It is as endless as the stars. Every night I hear the ocean, her tides pulled on by the restless moon. I live in a natural world filled with beauty and wonder. There is a song inside the hidden pathways of the planet. It bends around us and carries us on its tune like a feather blown in the wind. If there is a heaven above me, I live for the present. The sweet nocturnal longing for childhood wonder that leaves me thinking about everything I've ever seen.

The modern world has become formless. Every face looks the same. We are formless and without humanity. Let my soul sing of the sadness of the sea. Let my tongue speak of the wonders of the life that was gifted to me. And in the passing, mourning melancholy of the deepest ocean - let my words live on forever.

The moon watches over me. She is beautiful and without form. She is like an ancient God living in a world of half existence and oblivion. But she knows the faces that have come and gone upon the sands of time, she cares for each one. We rise and fall in the greater puzzle of life. Each moment new eyes open and look upon this mysterious world with a newfound sense of wonder and confusion. And soon those eyes come to realize that the beauty of our miraculous world soon fades into a lifeless simplicity that obscures all our first curious thoughts about who we were and why we were brought here. The questions we first asked no longer seem to matter in the rush of life. We forget to ask the vital questions and pass on into the dance of hopelessness that envelops all of us, soon enough.

I can hear my first words though I cannot hear my last. There is a symphony within my mind of all the moments that ever came to be. How curious it is that this life happened to me, this wonderful life. I could see it lived no other way. I think of the fantastic creatures within the Mariana Trench, gruesome and god-like within the dark underworld they call home. Where is my home? I know that I am far from it. And like a banana fish I long to find my equilibrium but I am trapped in a prison of desire and like all lost beings - I keep building the walls of my lonely hideaway.

Long ago there was a world of Gods and monsters. They weren't much different from one another and absorbed the luminous images that swelled within the great divide. And upon the face of the saddest waters, the souls of the dead swirled like colors no human eye could see. And within those first scientific moments, as man's slow evolution began its timeless journey into humanhood - a strange thing happened. We came into existence.

And now, so many years later - I look upon this empty world and the miracle of life and all I see is emptiness. The vast cities of oblivion with their tall skyscrapers fade into a complex silence that has engulfed all of humanity. In one, vast collective scream the tower of Babel falls from the stars and we are all gathered together, like a billion souls in a paper bag and born again, anew in a world of wonder and chaos.

We came out of darkness and moved slowly towards the light. And now as we make our new journey towards the stars, the cold and harsh moonlight casts a shadow over our progress and calls us back to the places we knew and called home. Home is warm and delicate like a child's heart or a backyard filled with memories, caterpillars and idyllic summer afternoon's. The cold streets of the future are filled with smoke and the choking Gods of yesterday gather together to enter the fire. And they burn, just as they did at the beginning of time for all of us to forget them and move on to other beautiful creatures.

And we wake from the dream of life and look around us, in every direction. What do we see but the places beauty used to be, the hallowed echoes of blind Gods and the sadness of a fish in a net contemplating existence.

No comments:

Post a Comment